Are you still making that type of boring resume or curriculum vitae? One which justs makes your day lazy if you where the human resources trying to hire. Well, you should know that a resume is the first impression of yourself to the firm you are applying a job for? As we all know first impressions are mightly important as they have the ability to make or break a business.
Nowadays it is vital to create an eye-catching resume to capture the attention of your potential employer. Yes, some may wonder what’s wrong with the ordinary, It is not wrong but just boring to over it. Some resumes are boring to the fact that the hiring staff gets disinterested before looking inside. The appearance of a resume needs to have an eye-catching factor to keep readers interested.
Vital factors to note when making an eye-catching Resume.
- Simplicity – When writing points be it either on your work experience section make your point as short as possible just state the company, your role there and time spent there(years), just that.
- Cleanliness – It should be easy to read. The sections spaced quite well with a clear font like Montserrat Light rather than our overused Arial Times New Roman.
- Informative – Note that your resume is your first impression of yourself on the job you are applying for, so show clearly the skills you have to offer with either a Graph, Bar Chart, Pie Chart or my personal favourite a Venn diagram. That way you do not have to copy and paste someone else’s CV because your information should be as short as possible.
- Graphics – Adding a bit of images and colour. Back then people did not share their photos in a resume but now it is now common for people to add an image of themselves in a Resume.
How to make a graphical Resume if I am not a graphics designer.
There are so many places (websites) where you can find graphical templates for free or paid ones. Templates will be in different formats such as MS Word doc(Microsoft Word), IDML (Adobe Indesign), AI (Adobe Illustrator) or PSD (Photoshop) and other formats. All you have to do after downloading is make you have the required software to open the file and edit as to your specifications.
What not to leave out in your eye-catching resume
- Social Icons – Yes if you are on all those habit-forming social media sites you should add them on your resume this may increase the chances of getting an invitation to the job interview. Add your LinkedIn, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram if you are a social media person.
- Website – If you own a website much better it will be easy for the firm you applied to see what you can do in evidence rather than see the skills written on a CV. Make sure to have your portfolio or clients logos on your website. Big firms prefer to hire entrepreneurs to just mere workers.
- Languages – If you are a linguist put all the languages you can speak and write. You can illustrate this by using a bar graph showing how good you are at each language.
- Contact Information – Phone number, email and residential address. Put it in a different or opposite colour so that it is easily seen.
- Skills – This shows what you excel in most. Show this section in a percentage form depending on maybe one of the free online skills tests you have taken. This is what makes you different from the other candidates because people will not have the same results among various skills.
- Profile – This is a brief statement describing your personality.
- Work Experience – Your work experience which is relevant to the job you are applying for.
- Education – depending on which of education you are at. I recommend you put the last two educational experiences to avoid crowding your CV with all your certificates if you have many.
- Awards – If you have won some awards before put them but also note to not insert all of them.
- Reference – The references of your previous bosses. One reference is enough.
Where to get professional and graphical CV Templates.
Your resume should be one paged as illustatred in the picture below.
Do not worry so much about how it looks when you are making your resume, it is much more important to use your basic word skills. Also if you just don’t have the time you can hire someone to do it for you, as in a freelancer on Fiverr for like just $5 and you are good to go. Please note that a well-prepared resume increases the chances of getting a prompt invitation for a job interview.